Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Road Trip! March 12, 2018

I thought I lived far away from mission headquarters in Sikeston...out here in the boonies of Mahomet, IL it takes more than 3 hours to get to St. Louis! 

Which is what we did on Friday this week for "New Missionary Orientation Meeting." It's probably my favorite meeting, because our mission president focuses on the basics and the discussions that we have, especially the new missionaries' comments, are so young and refreshing! I know I sound like an old fart saying that, but seriously I love being around young people!

Which has been my joy and pleasure every day of late. Sister Gillies is learning and working hard and of course, teaching me along the way :) The past week we've worked hard, and have plans to work even harder and invite God's power into our efforts this week. It hasn't been easy. I've said it once, I'll say it again: most good things aren't easy.

Which is funny, because this week I was asked to give a talk about this line of scripture in Matthew 11:28-30:

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Living as God would have us is not easy! At least not in my experience! There is definitely the most hope and long-lasting joy involved than by living any other way, but it involves effort and work on our part. Jesus Christ's invitation to take his yoke upon me some days excites me, and other days intimidates me. How can I when I feel too weak?

But I have definitely learned over the past few years, especially since leaving home, that I never am pulling alone. A yoke is beam that helps two oxen pull the same load, *together.* Jesus Christ is pulling regardless of whether I am! But when I do, he strengthens me, until indeed his yoke is easy, his burden is light, and I come out of it a better person.

For most of my life, my immediate response to a new burden is "Take it away!" I'm learning, though, that the best response is "Strengthen me!" 

So that's my little thought for the week. Thank you for all the birthday wishes! I have loved being a missionary for all of my 20th year, it's been amazing. As always, I'm sure the best is yet to come!

Sister Fluegel 🐦

P.S. Ed Logsdon in Jacksonville was baptized this past Saturday!! I'm so happy for the Logsdons <3
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment