Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Rely on the Lord! June 26th 2017

Wow, what a week! Get ready for a long email! 

I don't think I've ever worked harder as a missionary than the past seven days, or seen so many blessings. One of the coolest experiences was starting and ending a fast with Robbie, who so badly wants to turn his life around. When we ended it together he said he felt different the whole day--not just physically, but spiritually--but couldn't really describe it. On our end, we were hungrier probably than I've ever been fasting, but also got more done than I ever have weekly planning! Usually our brains turn to much about an hour in, but we somehow powered through! Not somehow--it was definitely a blessing.

Looking back on the week--and on the many, many weeks of my mission thus far--I see that the more I put my heart and mind into this work, not just my might and strength as it puts in D&C 4, the more I can *see* the blessings of the Lord. Living the gospel of Jesus Christ means every second building and exercising faith in Him, repenting, and promising Him to live better. 

A man we're currently teaching over the phone (we're finally meeting him this week I think!) asked about repentance when I bore my testimony about it--he asked, "Isn't repentance kind of...scary?" 

To be honest? Sometimes it still does feel a little scary. If you think about just you, of your own effort and will, admitting everything you do or have done wrong and then never doing ANY of it EVER again...well, that's impossible. Seriously, it is.

Heavenly Father knew that. He knew we couldn't do this on our own, so he sent his only perfect child to do what the rest of us never could. When we rely on Jesus Christ, he changes us. I love the story of Nephi, a young man with amazing faith in the Lord, bound in cords: 

16 And it came to pass that when I, Nephi, had spoken these words unto my brethren, they were angry with me. And it came to pass that they did lay their hands upon me, for behold, they were exceedingly wroth, and they did bind me with cordsfor they sought to take away my life, that they might leavme in the wilderness to be devoured by wild beasts.
17 But it came to pass that prayed unto the Lord, saying: Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that may burst these bands with which am bound.
18 And it came to pass that when had said these words,behold, the bands were loosed from off my hands and feet,and stood before my brethren, and I spake unto them again.
He asked for strength to break his bonds--but instead the Lord loosed them! 

We are living in a world where we are taught every man for himself. I've seen that a lot in my own life. I try all on my own to be stronger, more obedient and more worthy of a servant to my God, but always fall short, and wonder if my aspirations are even possible! 

Truth is, they aren't, unless I turn to the one who can take my sins and weaknesses from me and make them strengths. Jesus Christ makes everything possible--he makes repentance not only possible, but a joy and a privilege. 

Don't wait till tomorrow to repent and miss out on the blessings of today.

Love you all!
Sister Fluegel

Pictures:
#1 Set up shop finally in Sikeston
#2 A media referral took us to a storage unit...anybody inside?
#3 I HAT U. Gotta love Missoura'
#4 Our stake center's got a pretty cool door
#5-6 Midwest skies!!
#7-9 End of the month means getting creative with our food...
 
 








No comments:

Post a Comment