Monday, September 4, 2017

We Choose Ourselves! August 22nd 2017

Well hello family and friends!

It's been another great week in the Sikeston area. We've been very blessed to keep finding more and more people who are willing to hear our message. Coming from an area where that was rarely the case, I won't forget what a privilege it is to practice my teaching skills, help others learn more about the gospel of Jesus Christ, and feel the Spirit testify of the truth I say. Teaching is something I've enjoyed even more than I expected, although it can be hard or nerve-wracking at times!

We got to stop for a second and watch the Solar Eclipse! It was pretty close to a full eclipse in Sikeston, though not quite. The crickets and tree frogs freaked out though, haha! Sister Mayne and I had no idea where to get the glasses we needed for it, they were out at the library and we couldn't find any at Walmart. Then suddenly a couple on their way up stopped us where we were weekly planning in McDonald's, and gave us glasses! The woman said, "We know who you are," and talked about how they live down in Texas and had a daughter who went on a mission. They paid for our lunch and thanked us for what we do.

It was such a tender mercy, and reminded me: I'm not alone! One of the many, many things I love about this gospel is that almost wherever you live, you can be part of it. We are a worldwide church, and the same thing that was taught in Sikeston at church this week was taught in Switzerland! 

Another thing that stuck out to me from this week was a scripture we talked about in District Meeting. Often in the scriptures we hear the phrase "Many are called, but few are chosen." We receive the call to act--to go to church, to be baptized, to go on a mission, to read our scriptures--but not everyone is "chosen." I don't think I entirely understood why until I studied this:

D&C 121
33 How long can rolling waters remain impure? What power shall stay the heavens? As well might man stretch forth his puny arm to stop the Missouri river in its decreed course, or to turn it up stream, as to hinder the Almighty from pouring down knowledge from heaven upon the heads of the Latter-day Saints.

34 Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?

35 Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—

36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.

We choose ourselves! When we act on the call, and act in righteousness, we are chosen. I know that's true--I know anything is possible as we follow and trust in God. 

I love you all! I didn't take any pictures like a dummy, I'll do better next week!

Sister Fluegel 🐦

No comments:

Post a Comment