Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Golden Rule! September 18th 2017

Well hello!

I must say (not for the first time) the weeks feel like days and the days feel like weeks! 

We spent Monday and Tuesday last week up in St. Louis, having a "Sister's P-Day" at the zoo (my 4th time there, haha) and then going on exchanges with our STLs in Fenton, MO. It was a ton of fun, and I definitely learned a lot from Sister Knight, who I spent the day with :)

Since then its been a lot of teaching, finding, and sneezing! Sister Hardy got sick last week and then this past week I joined her! It's kind of fun being sick together, haha, we've gone through about 5 rolls of toilet paper just from blowing our noses! It's that time of year, I guess.

I always learn something new every week, which might be my favorite part of being out on a mission. This week I learned how important it is to practice what you preach. Sister Knight and I were going to visit a member and when we knocked, a woman answered who couldn't speak English! But she very warmly communicated to us to come inside, used a Google translate app, and explained her family moved in two monthsago and the person we were looking for must have moved.

I don't know how to explain how KIND this woman was. Definitely the most welcoming, friendly, Christlike stranger I've met in my life--and she wasn't Christian. She and her family are Muslim and came as refugees from Iraq. We had a fun, sometimes confusing conversation with each other over Google Translate (isn't technology amazing?) and she gave us water and an Arabic dessert to try. She said we were welcome to come back whenever we'd like, and hugged us.

In comparison, I think of the many, many people I've met as a missionary who practically shun us because of who we are, and yet call themselves Christians! I think of myself, and how I have thought of or treated other of God's children in the past. I know we can all do better at treating people the way we would want to be treated. As Jesus Christ put so eloquently:

(Matt 7:12) Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you: do ye even so to them.

This world would be a much happier place!
Love you all,
Sister Fluegel 🐦

P.S. I had an authentic Arabian dessert, pig ear (soul food, apparently), and kimchi this week! Being on a mission has got me out of my comfort zone in more ways than one...

My photos won't send!! Sorry everybody :(

No comments:

Post a Comment