Monday, June 23, 2014

Weekly Updates

June 23, 2014

We've had a great week in Bountiful and have been very successful in helping the members to be excited about missionary work and working alongside them. We've been teaching three different people who are learning from us about the restored gospel and there have been so many beautiful moments as they each progress at their own pace. Eimi, a college student from Japan has been learning from us and it was such a special moment to hear her first prayer on her own in Japanese. Also I've learned to connect with people on a personal level and get to know them, and have genuine interest in their interests. As we waited for dinner to be ready, Eimi started playing the piano and she asked if I knew how to play, and I played the only 2 hymns I know how to play and she sat next to me on the bench and asked what the lyrics meant and said that they were very uplifting and she liked them! It was so special to be able to share the gospel through music. 

Yesterday at church we had high hopes of Mandy coming to church for the first time, and we didn't see her throughout the whole meeting. I was feeling discouraged and really sad because I knew how much Sacrament meeting would help her grow her testimony. Then I found out later that she and her boyfriend actually did come, and were sitting 8 rows behind us the whole time! It was an eye-opener to me that even when you think things are going wrong, Heavenly Father is in charge and I just need to have faith that good will always triumph. Sister Holt and I taught Relief Society in one of our 9 wards yesterday and we helped answer questions the members had about sharing the gospel and different situations. Sister Holt talked about being excited and happy to share the gospel, just like you'd share your favorite food with someone. I talked about how we don't need to be afraid to talk to others about the gospel if we pray about it beforehand. Praying for help, strength, guidance and courage is how I manage to be a missionary each day, and no one should endeavor to do the Lord's work without praying to petition His help. After all, it is His work-how can we expect to know what to say without His help? He knows those people and what they need infinitely better than you do on your own. 

I'm so grateful for every moment on my mission--each day is a gift and I am so blessed to be a part of a work that is so much bigger than me. I am blessing the lives of others every day and receiving so many blessings in return. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. 







No comments:

Post a Comment