Wednesday, February 22, 2017

If the Savior Stood at your Doorstep February 21st 2017

All the libraries were closed yesterday, so no I didn't drop off the face of the earth! At least not permanently :)
The past two P-days I had a ton of fun shopping, going to a Museum, and bowling. The sisters in our zone are awesome . . . but not much as me: I got a whopping 108 for my ending score.
Another highlight of the week was stopping by Andy's Frozen Custard, which for some heavenly reason gives all their mess-ups to missionaries. And they had a WHOLE BOX. Pictures or it didn't happen!

I also got to experience 'exchanges' for the first time, where we switch companionships for a day with the Sister Training Leaders and get the opportunity to learn and vent! Luckily, having Sister Bustillos as a companion, the only thing I vented about was our water pressure. Or lack thereof.
In general this week I learned a lot about what this whole missionary work thing is. We met with one of our investigators, Steve, and got to know his awesome family, but besides that not too much happened. Two older less active LDS women we've been meeting with promised but bailed out of coming to church that Sunday, which was pretty sad. Amidst all the doors to knock and people to see I've come to see that I'm doing what Jesus would be doing here. The love I have for the people of Crystal City is a little crazy, considering I know about 5% of them, but that's tiny compared to his love for them.

If Jesus Christ could, he would be going door to door, trying to invite others to come unto him himself. But this life is a test of our faith. And I'm noticing that a lot of people don't even take the time to hear our words, or looks at our faces. Would they recognize Jesus Christ standing at their door? Would you? Would I?
John 1:10 He was in the worldand the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.
It's a lot to think about, and it's made me realize even more how important our own personal testimony is. No painting or depiction of Jesus Christ will help us recognize him; it comes from learning about him, yes, but also relying on him, and receiving a witness from the Spirit that he is our Savior. It will be based on our testimony, someday when we meet him again, whether we fully recognize him someday. An amazing story I once learned in Young Women's comes to mind:

"A 
man died and was resurrected and waiting in room to be interviewed. The door opened, the man entered, and the door closed. The interviewer began: “I want you to tell me what you know about Jesus Christ.”
“Well, He was born of Mary in Bethlehem; he lived thirty-three years, spending the last three organizing his church, choosing his Apostles, and giving the gospel to direct our lives.”
The interviewer stopped him and said: “Yes, yes, that’s all true, but want you to tell me what you know about Jesus Christ.”
“Well, he suffered and died so that we could have eternal life. Three days later he was resurrected so that we might return to Heavenly Father.”
“Yes, yes, that is true, but want you to tell me what you know about Jesus Christ.” The man, little perplexed, again began: “Well, he restored the gospel in its fulness to the earth through Joseph Smithreorganized his church, gave us temples so we could do work to save our dead. He gave us personal ordinances for our salvation and exaltation.”
The interviewer again stopped him and said, “All of what you have said to me is true.” The man was then invited to leave the room. 
After he left, the door opened, and second man entered. As he approached the interviewer he suddenly stopped, falling upon his knees and crying, “My Lord, my God.”
I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Sister Fluegel 🐦









No comments:

Post a Comment