Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Weekly Updates

October 20, 2014

Charity Never Faileth
I can't believe October is almost over! Wednesday will be my official year mark of when I entered the mission field! I've learned so much since that day I took the Frontrunner up to Salt Lake, toured Temple Square, met my trainer, Sister Wright, and started the journey. I've been so blessed with wonderful, hardworking companions who've taught me Christlike attributes like faith, hope, love, charity, diligence, obedience, and patience. I'm learning how to fast with more devotion, to thirst for knowledge in the scriptures, and to pray more often and more purposefully than ever before in my life. This week has been extremely busy: we had 2 exchanges with Sisters in the Kaysville Zone, went on splits with members 3 times, and did a training on working with members for one of the District Meetings. 

I've learned this week that true charity is the pure love of Christ, which means we never lose hope for anyone, no matter where they are at. An ability I've gained on my mission that I didn't quite have as much before was to see every single person as a child of God, with the potential to change, with the potential to follow every commandment, with the potential of repenting and being blessed by the atoning sacrifice of Christ, no matter how old they are, what culture they come from, or what past they've had. I received the happy news that one of the people I taught in Bountiful, an elderly woman who hadn't been to church since she was baptized 50 years ago, is coming to church again! I love this work and the fact that I feel so good about my actions and my purpose every day when I go to sleep at night.

Last week for Preparation Day we hiked Bear Canyon in Kaysville, and today we are carving pumpkins. The members here are so kind and thoughtful. I never want for food or anything I need. I couldn't be more blessed!

Love, Sister Fluegel

October 13, 2014
We've had a great week here in South Layton! So many people are returning to church, and working towards the temple. Sadly two people who wanted to be baptized moved out of our area, but we had a miracle on Saturday that led to another person to teach! We had received a referral by text from the Temple Square Sisters to contact a man that lived in some apartments. So we had been going by every day almost to knock on the door and we got no reply each time. Then, Saturday morning around 11am we were driving to the Family history center to update our online progress record, and the man's name popped into my head and I turned on the street that led to those apartments. As we got out of the car to go to his door, this man walks through the parking lot and says, "Looking for me?" and we had a great conversation and he is really interested to know more. We are so excited to teach him this week! 
       Yesterday was pretty busy, we went to Stake Council at 7am and saw a returned Sister Missionary report. Everyone asked us if it made us trunky, but I think it had the opposite affect! I'm so glad I still have a good amount of time left before I report home. We were in church meetings and ward councils until 4pm and then we taught lessons from then to 9pm. I love busy days! I've felt the Spirit so strongly in lessons this week-it was so powerful to feel the testimonies of those we are teaching and see their conversion grow. Even through the hard times, there truly is no greater joy. I was reading in Isaiah today, and loved these verses, 
   "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my               song; he also is become my salvation. 
   Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation. 
   And in that day shall ye say, Praise the Lord, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make      mention that his name is exalted.
   Sing unto the Lord; for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth.
   Cry out and shout, thou inhabitant of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee." Isaiah 12:2-6

Love, Sister Fluegel


October 6, 2014

Dear Family&Friends,

It's been an incredible week in the Layton Holmes Creek area! The highlights were taking Arianna and her mom to Saturday Morning General Conference, having dinner with a woman who wants to come back to church and asked us for the discussions, interviews with our mission president, and getting to serve the Sister Missionaries in the Zone almost every day in multiple ways. A year ago today I said goodbye to my family in Illinois and flew to Salt Lake City. I remember looking over the valley at the Salt Lake Temple and all the surrounding area, and thinking, "This is my home for the next 18 months." I know this mission is exactly where I belong, and it makes me so happy to be here every day serving the Lord with so many wonderful sincere people! 

General Conference was such a special experience for me. I felt the Spirit each session, and I loved the emphasis on families, on being kind to everyone, on the role of a prophet and what sustaining him means, and all of it, really. Our mission president taught us that when we take notes, we should write something we learned, then what we're going to do about it. I am so grateful that we have a prophet and apostles today that guide and direct the church according to how Jesus Christ wants. I feel like every day I come to know Jesus Christ better. I love the song that goes, "Oh Hallelujah, how I love my Savior, oh Hallelujah, that I do." 

Love, Sister Fluegel



No comments:

Post a Comment