Monday, October 21, 2013

Last Day at the MTC October 21st 2013

I can't believe I've been at the MTC for 12 days already! My district of 3 Sisters and 4 Elders has grown so close! We're like family now. It's going to be hard to say goodbye to everyone. Our P-day last week was Tuesday but now it's Monday because we leave tomorrow for Salt Lake City at 8am. It's going to be on Mondays from now on unless my mission president changes it. I'm slightly nervous to take the train to SLC because I've never been on one and they only give you 40 seconds to get your things and get off the train! Our district leader said he'd be the last one off to make sure we Sisters didn't get left behind. Everyone here is so willing to help and serve others. I'm going to miss it!

I'm all packed up except for a few things and I've got to clean up the apartment--which will be sad because WyView was just starting to feel like home. But I'm so happy to meet my trainer and be a real missionary with real people instead of fake investigators all the time. The appointments I went on with the Sisters when I was home really did help me! I feel so much better prepared than my fellow district members are feeling. This weekend has been a spiritually uplifting time for me because we've had so many devotionals and words of wisdom from our teachers for the field. 

Yesterday evening we had a Departure Devotional for everyone leaving the MTC this week, The speaker said, "Your mission experience is the MTC for the rest of your life...and the next." So true. He also said, "You shouldn't just go through your mission, you need to let your mission go through you." which I thought was a given but I guess some missionaries do go through the motions and don't let the experiences really change their hearts and who they are. I've already experienced a change of heart in my love for others and seeing them the way Heavenly Father sees them. It's been a struggle to see everyone that way but I've turned to the scriptures and prayer and I'm starting to change for the better and it's wonderful! I plan on serving my mission every day to the fullest and letting it touch my heart and soul. One of my teachers said something that really hit me as well, and made me start studying my scriptures and Preach My Gospel even more. He said, "You cannot convert someone beyond your own conversion." 

Something I've realized while here at the MTC is that I always saw missionary work as strictly work for the living and their children and posterity. But, one devotional speaker was saying that the ancestors of the people we are finding and baptizing are helping us on the other side, because they want their temple work done as well! And here I thought I was giving up family history work for 18 months. But no, I'm just helping others come unto Christ and all their ancestors will benefit from it! Hopefully I will be able to teach some of the new converts how to do their work. That'll be even better than doing my own! 

I've loved my experience at the MTC and being at West Campus has been such a blessing because we get to walk outside way more than Main Campus does, so we get more exercise, fresh air, and a much less crowded cafeteria! My district was one of the first and is the last of English Speakers to ever be on the West Campus, because they are making it the designated Spanish-Speakers campus starting next month! It's been a great experience and I've learned so much. The days are long but the weeks fly by. I'm loving every minute of it!

Thank you for all your letters, my district has been a little jealous that I receive so much mail but they have kept me going and given me strength when I felt discouraged or tired or homesick. I love all my family and friends and look forward to updating you all on my first week in Salt Lake City next Monday

First night at the MTC
 Raintree, where they have their lessons

 Last day at the MTC with Sister Fluegel's district and MTC teacher (also Elizabeth's FHE brother-weird!!)

1 comment: